Thursday, February 3, 2011

Beautiful You - Day 3

How do I feel about myself?

What a loaded question!!

I think I come across as a pretty confident woman (who knows if I'm right), but on the inside, I'm not really that confident. I constantly judge myself when I look in the mirror. Mornings can be brutal for me as I try to decide what to wear. Forget what is fashionable...but what can I do to make my thighs look smaller or to hide that roundness that my stomach has started taking on. It's an on-going battle that takes over my morning. I look in the mirror and really don't like what I see most mornings.

Why is this?

Well, I am constantly opening magazines with these "perfectly" shaped models. I turn on the T.V. and see beautiful actresses....who have "perfect" shapes. I see the women/girls that my husband photographs and they have those "perfect" shapes. They can all wear the latest styles and look just right. But what make them so "perfect?" Why does their body shape get to be perfect and mine doesn't?

Honestly? It's mostly because my brain won't let my body be "perfect" because it's different than theirs. They all have something in common that I feel I don't have. I see my imperfections and can't get past them. And it's mostly just my brain working in overtime and over-analyzing myself.

I need to get past this and appreciate what I have. If what I have fluctuates, I need to be grateful for what I have gained or have lost. When I can have a healthy sense of self, I will feel beautiful regardless of size or shape. When I can be confident in what I already have, I will feel beautiful. I need to remind myself that beauty radiates from the inside.


3 comments:

  1. I am so honored that you are on the Beautiful You journal and touched that you are sharing. I loved reading this post because I think you so poignantly articulated the truth for so many women- we over-analyze ourselves into paralysis.I look forward to following your jouney into self-appreciation. Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosie -
    I'm honored that you are following my journey! And quite humbled.

    Thank you for speaking out for so many women and creating such a wonderful book to help us all work towards accepting ourselves and our beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words; I'm quite humbled. Rosie

    ReplyDelete